[Here’s an excerpt from a letter I received from my child, postmarked 2030. It sounds like the future is bright, and they aren’t asking for money!]
It wasn’t until I had children myself that I realized how just how challenging it is to be a parent. And I didn’t really understand until now just how much you’ve done and how hard you’ve worked to make our world a healthier and safer place for us ever since we were babies.
So now I want to express some of my appreciation for the many things you’ve done that have had a big impact on my life, and on my children’s health and happiness.
Thank you for:
- Teaching us about low impact living.
- Always feeding us wholesome, organically grown foods and teaching us about the connection between our diet and our health.
- Showing us that we can grow some of our own food.
- Standing up for strong clean air regulations.
- Taking the time to contact your legislators and be heard on issues that really matter.
- Not letting us get sucked into watching TV and keeping us from being exposed to so much advertising.
- Exposing negative gender stereotypes in the marketing messages we do receive.
- Teaching us about composting and the importance of healthy, living soil.
- Showing us that homebirth is healthy, safe, and totally normal.
- Always turning our experiences into learning opportunities.
- Helping me grow up into a good man and showing me how to be a good father and husband.
You really made a difference in my world, and set a high standard for me to live up to.
Love, your son.
Image: segwaysocial2 at Flickr