How Best to Deal with Household Injuries

Kids will always be kids. No matter how many times you tell them not to play with your woodworking tools, their curiosity will find its way to your toolbox. And so, faster than you can say HOUSEHOLD INJURY, you will find yourself driving like a maniac for the nearest emergency unit.

As much as we want to keep our houses hazard-free for our families, we just can’t keep scenarios such as the one above from happening. Nonetheless, safety has always been a top issue, and it is our mandated responsibility to keep everything around the house checked for possible lapses.

And although some situations fall beyond our control, we still need to handle these emergencies properly.

Here are some of the most common injuries for us to deal with, along with valuable tips for doing a good job as a “first responder” around the house.

Chipped tooth or broken wire

If your child is wearing braces, a great deal of care has to be practiced in order to prevent injuries or other dental accidents from happening. Fortunately, there are a lot of options to consider when it comes to handling a chipped tooth or an orthodontic issue. In cases where you or your child need immediate and less costly solutions, you can get dental care when you’re not insured. Direct payment services are ideal for fixing minor injuries and other activities that don’t require extensive assistance.


Your child may be active around the house, and it’s totally fine. However, too much fun can lead to crying and a dislocated joint. In such a case, the best way to deal with the problem is to fix it yourself, right? Well, you can either be successful, or make the situation more serious than it already is. The safest option, still, is to bring your child to the hospital and have an actual practitioner handle the issue. Just remember to apply pressure using an ice pack and protect the area of dislocation from anything that could disturb it.


When your child is having an allergic reaction, providing immediate and substantial care is important. Especially if your child shows signs of the severe symptoms of an allergy — such as the swelling of the face and vomiting — you need to take him or her to the nearest hospital. Prior to that, you should be able to give your child a shot of injectable epinephrine to stymie the more painful symptoms.


The kitchen isn’t a playground, but kids will often find themselves wandering around to explore the things that would pique their interest. Apparently, a hot oven is not a thing that’s intended to be touched. First- and second-degree burns are just one of the most common household injuries, so it’s important for a parent to learn how best to approach such an issue. If it’s a first-degree or a second-degree burn, you will need to soothe the affected area with water. Avoid applying lotions or ointments or butter! You can then cover the area with a clean cloth and bring your child to a medical specialist if the case seems too serious.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *