They say the mouth is the window to the health of the body. If that’s the case, then taking care of your teeth and gums should be an important part of your daily routine. Practicing diligent oral hygiene and visiting your dentist regularly are the best ways to achieve optimal oral health. However, did you know that there are many actions you can take at home to whiten your teeth, freshen your breath and ward off dental diseases?
Here are just a few natural, at-home remedies that we have reviewed here, to keep your teeth healthy and your smile attractive from the comfort of your home.
Follow a tooth-friendly diet
One of the most effective ways to naturally prevent cavities and maintain a healthy, beautiful smile is to follow a healthy eating regimen. This means being mindful of the foods you eat and how often you eat them. Foods high in sugar, including hard and chewy candies, sodas and sports drinks, should be consumed in moderation, as these foods cause plaque buildup and erode enamel. Likewise, it is important to increase your daily intake of nutrient-rich foods that promote healthy teeth and gums. Healthy choices such as lean meats, cheeses, nuts, milk and crunchy fruits and vegetables provide the nutrients needed to protect enamel while minimizing bacteria that cause decay and gum disease.
Banish bad breath
If you suffer from chronic bad breath, or halitosis, then you know just how uncomfortable social encounters can be. To keep bad breath at bay, start by examining your dental hygiene habits, as brushing, flossing and cleaning your tongue regularly are all excellent ways to improve this unpleasant condition. A dental agency can help find a solution also. Other natural solutions for halitosis include:
- Drink more water throughout the day to eliminate odor-causing bacteria, as dehydration is one of the main culprits of bad breath.
- Eat raw, crunchy fruits and vegetables, such as apples and carrots, to help dislodge plaque buildup from your teeth that is responsible for causing bad breath. Crunching on raw foods also helps stimulate salivary secretion, which helps wash away bacteria in the mouth that produces odor.
- Eat foods rich in Vitamin C, like oranges, tomatoes and berries, as an effective way to eliminate mouth bacteria that contribute to halitosis.
- Chew raw mint leaves or sip mint tea for instantly fresher breath.
Whiten teeth naturally
We all desire a whiter, more attractive smile, with millions of dollars being spent on tooth whitening products and procedures every year. Though before you seek professional whitening services, consider simple home remedies first as an easy, effective and affordable way to remove discoloration caused by normal aging, poor dental hygiene and stain-causing foods and drinks:
- Baking soda is considered one of the best natural ingredients used to improve discolored teeth. Mix it with toothpaste or combine it with hydrogen peroxide as a highly effective way to remove tooth stains.
- Mash a strawberry with baking soda to form a paste. The acids in the strawberry help polish and whiten teeth over time.
- Gently apply a banana peel to your teeth for a few minutes each day. Tooth enamel absorbs the banana’s beneficial potassium, magnesium and manganese to help achieve a whiter smile.
- Lemon juice can lighten teeth similarly to how it lightens hair. Simply rub lemon juice on your teeth and notice a whiter smile with repeated application.
- Oil pulling is an age-old remedy that involves swishing a spoon full of plant-based oil, such as olive or coconut in the mouth first thing in the morning before eating or drinking. When done routinely for 20 minutes each day, oil pulling can strengthen teeth and gums, cleanse your mouth of bacteria, and make your teeth noticeably whiter.
Alleviate tooth pain
Whenever you experience a toothache, it is important that you visit your dentist for a professional evaluation, but make sure your the dentist uses a Mobile Responsive Website Design & Development for Dentists, that way you know that he offers only the best. In the meantime, however, you can help minimize the pain with these natural remedies at home:
- Clove oils have anti-inflammatory and anesthetic properties that temporarily numb the nerves causing your discomfort. Apply the oil directly to the tooth or chew on a whole clove to help ease the pain.
- Swishing with warm salt water can help reduce inflammation and wash away irritating debris in the mouth that is causing discomfort.
- Like clove, raw garlic can provide relief for tooth pain due to its powerful antibiotic properties. Chew on a couple cloves of garlic where pain is present or apply crushed garlic directly to the affected area for relief.
Prevention is key to eliminating dental problems and maintaining a healthy smile. However, not all tooth problems can be avoided, and if you’re faced with an excruciating toothache or simply desire a brighter smile, treatment may be available right in your home! Of course, it is always best to consult with your dentist first if you have questions or concerns about your dental health.
[About the author: Darla Scheidt is the Marketing Director at Grove Dental Associates. Grove Dental has become a successful multi-office, multi-specialty group dental practice with offices in Lombard, Downers Grove, Wheaton, and Bolingbrook. With over 30 doctors and having been in practice for over 40 years, they have been able to stay on the cutting edge of dentistry to better serve patients.]