A Mac is an excellent creative and learning tool. As you transit to a newer model, it’s natural you may think of handing the old one to your kid. That is especially true if she or he is a young creative interested in digital art and photography. It is even possible that you decided to buy them a new model as a generous gift.
However, take time to prepare the machine for your child. Usually Macs are ready out of the box and they come packed with excellent creative software. Yet they are made for conscientious grown-up people. So if you are going to give it to your child, follow these steps.
- First, make sure that you have the Administrator/Root/Superuser privileges for the macOS. It is important. This way you will be able to control the computer, while your child will use only what you allow her to use.
- Do not disclose your password. If you child knows your Mac account password, it allows her to impose and therefore remove restrictions.
- Uninstall the apps you deem unsuitable for you child using the specialized software. This is more effective than simply dragging the app’s icon into Trash. Using a specialized utility you can be sure to wipe out all the files that are associated with the app you are deleting.
- Blacklist adult content sites on the browser. This way you can be sure that your child will not enter them by mistake or clicking on the link somewhere on the web.
- You can apply parental controls to an existing account. For this, you will have to go to the account in question then check the box Activate the Parental Control at the bottom of the box. This protection is not bullet-proof, but at least it will give your child the proper idea of the limits. Of course, this will not guarantee that your child won’t find some workaround. However, she will know for sure that she’s trespassing.