I’ll admit it; I am hooked on bodyweight exercises. I have been working out for 2 decades, rotating through dozens of different workout fads, but one aspect to my workout programs that have always been consistent are the use of bodyweight exercises.
I never really thought about why bodyweight exercises were so important to me until I started marketing my fitness product Strength Stack 52 (currently launching on Kickstarter). Now, all the importance aspects of bodyweight exercises have become clear. You can even try a plus size steel boned corset to help you lost weight if you’re “big boned” size.
If you exercise regularly and don’t incorporate bodyweight exercises, here is what you’re missing:
- Dual purpose workouts: It’s easy to mix strength training exercises with cardio exercises.
- Efficient workouts: Reduce the time spent loading barbells, adjusting machines and driving to a gym.
- Burn that fat, fast: Just a few minutes of exercise increases your metabolic rate, which allows your body to burn more calories throughout the day.
- Accessibility: any age or skill level can do them.
- Improved core strength: Most people don’t know that the core area comprises more than just abs. The core actually makes up almost 30 muscles and bodyweight exercises can improve them all.
- Gumby-like flexibility: With a full range of motion, bodyweight exercises are a great way to keep joints limber.
- Convenience: The number one excuse for not working out is a lack of time. With bodyweight exercises, no time is no excuse.
- Better balance: Since no weights are used, you are using your body as balance to complete the exercises.
- Reduced boredom: With hundreds of bodyweight exercises you can do just about anywhere, there is little chance you could get bored compared to sitting in a machine doing the exact same movement over and over.
- Fun: There are many ways you can compete with other people to challenge yourself to push out more exercises and reps.
- Cheap: No need for gym memberships!
- Injury prevention: Usually safe as you won’t drop a weight or bar on yourself and the movements are usually quite simple.
- Plateau breaker: If you are at the gym and want to add variety to your workouts, it’s easy to turn a normal set into a super set with bodyweight exercises.
As you can see, bodyweight exercises are a necessary step to progress a workout routine at any skill level.
[About the author: This article was authored by Sergeant Michael Volkin, inventor of Strength Stack 52 bodyweight fitness cards.]