We used the Humanure system for over 5 years, and it worked great for us. Sure, there were bitter cold January days when I heard “Papa, the toilet’s full. Will you empty it?”, when I wished we could just flush, but overall, I’m quite fond of the bucket.
The Allure of Humanure: Ten Reasons to Love a Sawdust Toilet
- A sawdust toilet never gets clogged.
- When it needs cleaning, you just take it outside and spray it out.
- It uses no water, except for cleaning.
- Composting returns nutrients to the soil.
- There’s no splash.
- It’s great for camping. Leave no trace.
- You’ll never have a plumbing leak.
- It doesn’t smell like an outhouse. It smells like the woods.
- They make for great conversation. “Derek, what do you collect?” “Well, funny you should ask…”
- They never get clogged. Ever.