Personal, Parenting and Natural Living Bio:
I’m a husband, a father, and a carrier of things.
I think peanut butter on anything is great.
I love big mountains and little kids, ’cause they make me smile, and I drink a double americano almost every day.
I’m a nature boy, a tree-hugging dirt-worshiper. I try to live with reverence for our web of life.
I like big trees and large boulders, cold mountain streams and redrock desert, the smell of pinyon and sage. I’d rather be sitting in a canoe in the wilderness than the backseat of a Rolls Royce.
(As long as the canoe had an espresso machine and a wireless connection…)
Things I dig include: simple living, natural fatherhood, attachment parenting, natural building, unassisted childbirth (homebirth), bicycles, composting (sawdust) toilets, organic and biodynamic gardening, vegan peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips, bouldering, and the blues.
In my life I’ve been a factory worker, a farmer, a grocery clerk, a handyman and jack of all trades. I’ve worked at fast food joints and car washes, for temp agencies and day labor hire, for moving companies and landscapers. I’ve driven forklifts and bobcats, and I’ve installed solar panels and sold fruit at the farmers market. I spent 10 years in the natural foods industry, most recently as the general manager of a natural foods co-op.
I support local food production and am a regular at the farmers market and our local food co-op. The dream of a sustainable homestead is still alive for us, and our self-sufficient zero-energy input green home is being planned. Our permaculture oasis is a sustainable small-scale village. Single-speed bicycles, drumming, and DIY anything can really make me grin.
I’m a freelance writer, available for content creation, editing, and proofreading. I can advise and help implement social media strategy for green and sustainability businesses, and I enjoy the conversational nature of engagement with readers and customers. I’m full of ideas and off the wall thinking, and can help you with your business ideas and strategy.
Follow me on Twitter: @derekmarkham
- Nominated for Best of Green by TreeHugger: Celebrity and Culture (two years running)
- Featured as a Top 10 Green Twitterer on Huffington Post Green
- Featured as one of 10 Green Twitterers You should Follow on Mother Nature Network
- Featured on LOHAS as a Top 50 LOHAS Twitterer
- Named on the Voices for Change Honor Roll by Greenhouse Neutral Foundation
- Named as one of the Top 25 Green Folks On Twitter by Greenopolis
- Named in 10 Green Bloggers We Love by Greenopia
- Named in Top 10 Green Twitterers to Check Out at OpenForum
Interviews with me:
- Interview for Mint.com’s personal finance series: Personal Finance Interview with Derek Markham on Natural Living
- Featured as “Green Guardian of the Week” by eCycle Best.
- Sean Daily interviews me on GreenTalk Radio: GTR Green Blogger Series: Natural Fatherhood Blogger Derek Markham
- Interview for Goedeker’s blog: Interview with Derek Markham of Natural Papa
- Interview at Grass Stain Guru: Chatting With Natural Papa, Derek Markham
- Interview at CalFinder: Natural Parenting, Sustainable Living, and Tweeting: An Interview with Derek Markham
- Interview at All-Swagga: 5 Minute Interview: Derek Markham
- Interview at Examiner: Four questions with Derek Markham
- Interview with David Kaufer: Derek Markham: Writer, New Media Guy, Sustainability Expert
Drop me a line at derek (at) naturalpapa.com.
And remember, two heads are better than one…